Welcome!

Hi! I'm Dana: I am a video blogger, avid writer, and dreamer.

All I want in life is to write, travel, and win an Oscar.

Enjoy my ramblings as I attempt to do all of it!

Or watch me try on my YouTube Channel!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Rant about Jobs


So, I'm sitting here, looking for a job. Not a customer service job or something equally mundane and stressful for 10 dollars an hour in a city where a movie ticket is $11 and some god damn orange juice is $5. No, thank you. I want a job where the thought of me working there doesn't make me bored before I even start. OH. And can I please find a job that doesn't require years of experience??? Is there a job that actually doesn't require that besides being a garbage man? I don't understand, where am I supposed to go for experience? An unpaid internship when I have rent, loans, and FOOD to pay for? That's a nice idea, but kind of NOT FREAKIN' POSSIBLE. I mean, I wasn't lazy in college either. I was a TA, I helped with a faculty job search for my department and received academic awards. (I'm not trying to be a snob, I'm just saying that even with that, plus continuous work experience since I was 16- including supervisory positions-my resume is too "light"for an entry level position.) How disheartening is that? What the hell am I supposed to do? Sure, I may not have 3 years experience at some random company, but I can certainly learn. Do companies refuse to train people now? What happened to being personable? The worst thing that ever happened to the job market is being too analytical. Does anyone really need to answer 100 multiple choice questions (usually 5 questions asked 20 different ways) before you even call me for an interview...to be a cashier? Do you absolutely need a phone interview after I apply online, before I talk to you in person and then have to wait for a second interview? All the sudden, everything has become so complicated. I want to apply for a position that requires me to travel and write. I would LOVE to be a travel writer. And if they asked me tons of questions that follow some sort of corporate protocol, they miss the whole point of the interview-getting to know me. The simple answer is, I want to work for you because it will make me happy. I do honest work because I respect myself and the people around me and I'm the best for the job because I'm working towards my own personal goal that's been forming within me since I could think. I won't let you down because I don't want to let myself down. Stop asking me to fill in bubbles on a computer screen. Things have been tough since I moved a couple of months ago (and, boy, do I miss college) but I still am holding out for a job that makes me happy. I would love for someone to give me that chance.

2 comments:

  1. "The simple answer is, I want to work for you because it will make me happy. I do honest work because I respect myself and the people around me and I'm the best for the job because I'm working towards my own personal goal that's been forming within me since I could think. I won't let you down because I don't want to let myself down" I may have to steal that if I ever make it to the interview for a police job cause thats the best answer I have ever heard to the "why do you want to work here" question. Youve been out of school for a while and you dont have a job that makes you happy. Well I hate to be the guy who says "your life is easy compared to" but I started taking and applying for police jobs, which is all i really want to do, in 2004. That is six, count um 6 years i have been trying. All the while working menial jobs, some i liked some i hated. I really like my job now but the money is shit. I'm sitting on the edge of being to old and then being fucked. I dont have a full bachelors and i have been in college for 7 years. maybe you could take an internship thats monday through friday and get a job on the weekends to help pay bills. Life is unfair to everyone right now. Nobody will get what they really want for a while and sometimes swallowing some reality is the best we can hope for and so long as it continues to rain all you can do is keep your head down and keep moving, but hey "it cant rain all the time".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana, I think you summed it all up. I wish people would just give us a chance. I mean, some company out there must have some 80 year old guy who can barely find the strength to lift a pencil working for them making close to six figures. Why is he still there?! Hire me for half the price! Why go to school if it wouldn't pay off in the end? If I wasn't at home, I would be broke. Why is my labor worth less than almost every person I meet? Some people even enjoy what they do. Isn't that a weird concept. Getting paid to do work you actually like. I can't find satisfaction in any of these areas. That's a vent pretty much. Gotta keep pushin I geuss.

    ReplyDelete